The first Loiselle in Canada ….
Jacques Cartier was the first European in Montreal (then the village of Hochelega) in 1534. Samuel de Champlain tried to establish a fur trading post there in 1604 but was unsuccessful. Then the mission Ville Marie was built in 1642 and became the centre for the fur trade and French expansion into New France.
Under the authority of the Roman Catholic Société Notre-Dame, missionaries Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve, Jeanne Mance and a few French colonists set up a mission named Ville Marie on May 17, 1642 as part of a project to create a colony dedicated to the Virgin Mary. In 1644, Jeanne Mance founded the Hôtel-Dieu, the first hospital in North America, north of Mexico.
My Sinotte family is descendant of Louis Loisel. Sinotte is a “dit” name of the surname Loiselle.
Louis Loisel came to Canada in 1647. He married Marguerite Charlot and they had eight children.
This is the Loisel family crest.
According to Thomas J. Laforest, Our French-Canadian Ancestors : Volume XVIII, Pages 147-148
“In history, Louis Loisel appeared at Ville-Marie without prior notice. We meet him for the first time in the religious registries on Monday, 13 January 1648. He was at the church of Notre-Dame to have his marriage to the parisienne Marguerite Charlot blessed. Present at the ceremony were Paul de Chomedey, Sieur de Maisonneuve, Governor of the island, Gilbert Barbier and Charles Lemoine. The officiating priest was none other than the Jesuilt preist Georges D’Endremare, known as a missionary at Sainte-Anne du Cap-Breton since the year 1636.”
From L’Heritage Loiselle, pg 28:
Marguerite etait une fille vertueuse qui accompagnait Mademoiselle Mances a Ville-Marie; elle avait vecu sous les soins de cette derniere jusqu’au jour de son marriage.
Their marriage is found at Notre-Dame de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec in Drouin Collection. The French translation of their marriage document from Drouin records:
En ‘an du Seigneur 1648, en ce treiziene jour de janvier, les bas ayant ete promulgues a trois jours de fete durant la celebration de la messe paroissiale, et aucun empechement legitime n’etant decouvert, moi George d’ Eudemare, prete de la Societe de Jesus, entre Louis Loisel, fils de Louis Loisel, et de Jeanne LeTerrier, ses parents de la paroisse Saint-Germain pres de Caen en Normandie , et Marguerite Charlot fille de Francois Charlot et de Barbe Girardeau, ses parent de la paroisse Saint-Jean-en-Greve, Paris. En la Maison de la Bienheureuse Marie du Mont-Royal en Nouvelle-France, les interrogeant, et ayant obtenu leur mutuel consentement, je les ai unis par le mariage de facon solennelle par des paroles devant les temoins connus dont le Seigneur Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve, gouverneur de lieu, Gilbert Barbier, nivernois, Charles le Moyne, interprete de langues et plusieurs autres, ensuite je les ai benis selon le rite de notre mere la sainte Eglise lors d’une messe celebree.
The wedding was held at the house of Mademoiselle Mance “The Bienheuruse Maries du Mont Royal”. Attending the wedding were the most influential of the colony at the time:
Paul de Chomedey was the governor of Montreal.
Gilbert Barbier was responsble for the construction of the fort around Montreal
Charles le Moyne was the future seigneur of Longueuil.
By 1650, when Father Claude Pijart (who baptisted two of their children) arrived in Montreal, the settlement was in a lamentable state. There were fewer than a hundred French people there and they were all billeted behind the palisades. Father Pijart was in Montreal (his resident, liturgy and the cemetery at the Hôtel-Dieu) until Father De Queylus arrived in 1657.
Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve would act as governor of the colony. On January 4, 1648, he granted Pierre Gadois the first concession of land of 40 acres. Others including Charles Lauzon, Robert Lecavelier et Adrienne Duvivier, Jean Desroches, Urbain Tessier dit Lavgne and Jacques Archambault. A map of the early land grants are provided here. My Louis Loisel got his first land grant in 1655.
Between 1650 and 1672, 94 houses were built in Montreal. Louis Loisel’s house was on Rue Saint-Paul, #51 on map of Montreal on 1672. He earned his living as a locks smith.
In 1666 census, Louis Loisel was listed with his family. His surname is spelled Loysel.
Louis Loysel 49 Habitant
Marguerite Charlot 35 Epouse
Jeanne Loysel 16 Fille
Francoise Loysel 14 Fille
Joseph Loysel 12 Fils
Barbe Loysel 2 Fille
In the 1666 Census in Montreal, Honore Langlois with his family including Jeanne Langlois are also listed two families before Louis Loysel. Jeanne Langlois is to become the wife of Joseph Loysel.
In 1679 there is a record of a dispute that Louis Loisel was having with one of his neighbors which Rob Louisell found posted here.
February 21, 1679 – Between Louis Loisel, plaintiff on the one part, for the return of a cord of wood, against Robert Le Cavallier on the other part, judgment is rendered in favor of the plaintiff.
In the Montreal census of 1681, Louis Loisel, locksmith, 64 years old, and Marguerite Charlot, 57 years old, had as neighbors Jean-Vincent Philippe, Sieur de Hautmesny, and Charles d’Ailleboust, Sieur des Mousseaux. Louis and Marguerite owned 1 gun, 2 head of cattle, and had 30 arpents under cultivation. A single son, Joseph, still lived with them.
Honore Langlois and his growing family were still neighbors of the Loisel’s in 1681 census. Jeanne Langlois is listed as their oldest daughter living at home, age 19. Jeanne Langlois is to become the wife of Joseph Loisel.
Dec 9, 1681, their son, Joseph Loisel, bought land in Saint-Jean (later Pointe-aux-Trembles) from Francois Bau and his wife. Does that make Louis Loisel and Marguerite Charlot empty nesters now?
On 26 May 1682, Paul Aguenier was ordered to pay the damages that his animals had caused to the grains of Louis Loisel
8 August 1684, the Loisel won his case against Marthe Autreux, wife of Pierre Chauvin, who had killed one of the plaintiff’s pigs after having surprised the animal in the act of ransacking his fields
18 June 1686, Loisel was ordered to do so because he had refused to ‘have thrashed les fredoches, which spoiled a homestead”.
On 2 August 1688, Louis Loisel (engageur ouest), Antoine Bazinet dit Tourblance, Jacques Chaperon, Pierre Janot dit LaChapelle and his older brother Robert, decided to take the risk of organizing a trading journey to the West [Kaskaskia area]. They went to the merchant Francois Poignet dit Beauregard in order to buy 1,778 livres 13 sols in trade goods. The partners guaranteed the load. Bazinet, Chaperon and Janot would make the trading journey and return in the autumn of 1689 in order to pay the creditors in good beaver pelts and to share the profits.
Not sure if this group on Engageur ouest made their fortune or not. [although this seems unlikely because Louis Loisel was in his 70s at the time.]
Later in 1691, Joseph, Louis Loisel’s son, went on a trading trip out west, and in 1708, his daughter Barbe moved with her husband of the time to Kaskaskia. [And future Loisel generations were later follow to Kaskaskia].
3 March 1690, ancestor Louis Loisel liquidated all his property in Montreal: the site of Rue Saint-Paul with house built on it and his farm, to Nicolas Dantour who withdrew immediately in favor of edgetool maker Jean Drapeau dit LaForge. The latter changed his mind reckoning that he could not pay off such a debt of 1,400 livres,. Louis then offered the fur merchants Charles de Couagne and Jean Cuillerier the opportunity to sign the same purchase, but for only 1,100 livres to be paid in three payments, the last being on 3 March 1693. The agreement became effective on 2 August 1690.
In Mar 1690, after liquidated all his property, his daughter Barbe Loisel and her husband Francois Langantier, took charge of supporting of Louis Loisel and Marguerite Charlot. Louis Loisel died in Sep 1691. Likely when Barbe Loisel went to Detroit MI area, Marguerite went to live with her son Joseph Loiselle in Pointe-aux-Trembles.
4 Sep 1691, Louis Loisel died as recorded in Drouin collections from Notre-Dame de Montreal burial records.
According to Thomas J. Laforest, Our French-Canadian Ancestors : Volume XVIII, Page 153)
“At the end of the summer of 1691, death took the life of Louis Loisel. On Tuesday, 4 September, his mortal remains were laid to rest, after the libera sung by the Sulpicien priest Etienne Guyotte.”
Oct 3, 1706 – Margureite Charlot dies – survived her husband by more than 15 years. Her funeral was celebrated at Pointe-aux-Trembles on October 3, 1706, in the presence of her son Joseph, her daughter -in-law Jeanne Langlois, the notary Nicolas Senet dit Laliberte, the cantor Louis Beaudry and the officiating Priest Benoit Roche from Saint-Sulpice.
Only one son survived to carry on the Loisel name, that was Joseph Loiselle.
The Family of Louis Loisel and Marguerite Charlot:
Louis2 Loisel/Loysel (son of Louis Loisel and Jeanne LeTerrier) was born 1618 in Saint-Germain-la-Blance-Herbe, de Caen (Bayeux), Normandie, France, and died 04 Sep 1691 in Montreal, QC. He married Marie-Marguerite Charlot 13 Jan 1647/48 in Montreal, QC (Notre Dame), daughter of Francois Charlot and Barbe Girardeau. She was born 1612 in Saint-Jean-en-Greve, Paris, France, and died 03 Oct 1706 in Pointe-aux-Trembles, QC.
Children of Louis Loisel/Loysel and Marie-Marguerite Charlot are:
i. Marie-Jeanne3 Loiselle, b. 24 Jul 1649, Montréal, Île de Montréal,QC; d. 04 Oct 1708, Montreal, QC; m. (1) Julien Averty, Bef. 1666, Montreal, QC; b. Bef. 1649, < QC >; d. Bef. 1666, < QC >; m. (2) Jean Beauchamp-LePetit, 23 Nov 1666, Rivière-des-Prairies, Montreal, QC; b. 08 May 1644, Ste-Marguerite, La Rochelle, Aunis, France; d. 04 May 1700, Pointe-aux-Trembles, QC. Marguerite Bourgeoys would found the Congrégation de Notre-Dame, Montreal’s first school, in 1653. Jeanne Loisel, Louis Loisel and Marguerite Charlot’s oldest daughter, was the first non-native child born in Canada to survive to marry in adult hood, she also because the first non-native child to attend Marguerite Bourgeoys’ school.
ii. Francoise Loiselle, b. 26 Feb 1651/52, Montreal, QC; d. 13 Sep 1690, Boucherville, QC; m. (1) Francois Pilet, 27 Dec 1670, Boucherville, QC; b. 1630, St-Hilaire-de-Pouillac, Saintonge, France; d. 08 Sep 1688, Boucherville, QC; m. (2) Charles Chevaye-Vendamois, 16 Aug 1689, Boucherville, QC; b. Oct 1660, Ste-Marie-Madeleine de Vendôme,Île-de-France, France. Francoise was also a student of Marguerite Bourgeoys.
iii. Joseph Loiselle, b. 25 Nov 1654, Montreal, QC; d. 09 Jun 1724, Pointe-aux-Trembles, QC; m. Jeanne Langlois-Duchene, 07 Apr 1682, Pointe-aux-Trembles, QC; b. 16 Jan 1663/64, Montreal, QC; d. 23 Feb 1718/19, Pointe-aux-Trembles, QC.
iv. Charles Loiselle, b. 02 Jun 1658, Montreal, QC; d. 28 Jun 1658, Montreal, QC.
v. Marie-Marthe Loiselle, b. 15 Aug 1659, Montreal, QC; d. 15 Aug 1659, Montreal, QC.
vi. Charles Loiselle, b. 05 Oct 1661, Montreal, QC; d. 06 Nov 1661, Montreal, QC.
vii. Barbe Marie Loiselle, b. 30 Aug 1663, Montreal, QC; d. 24 Dec 1742, Hopital General de Quebec, QC; m. (1) Jean Miquelly, 25 Sep 1688, Pointe-aux-Trembles, QC; b. Abt. 1660; d. Bef. 1689; m. (2) Pierre Roussel, 26 Oct 1676, Montreal, QC; b. 1644, Dieppe, France; d. 25 Apr 1687, Montreal, QC; m. (3) Francois LeGantier, 28 Nov 1689, Montreal, QC (Notre Dame des Neiges); b. Bef. 1663, LaChartre-sur-le-Loir, Maine, France; d. 11 Nov 1710, Ste-Anne-de-Detroit, IL; m. (4) Francois Fafard-Delorme, 30 Dec 1713, Sainte-Anne-de-Détroit (Fort Ponchartrain), Detroit, MI; b. 1660, Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, QC; d. 28 Jan 1733/34, Detroit, Wayne Co., MI.
viii. Louis Loiselle, b. 14 Aug 1667, Montreal, QC; d. 04 Sep 1667, Montreal, QC.