Most of the children of Louis Loisel ended up moving to Pointe-aux-Trembles Quebec just across from Ile of Montreal.
Here are some of the early inhabitants of Pointe-aux-Trembles, most coming from Montreal.
- Francois Bau
- Toussaint Beaudry married to Barbe Barbier, daughter of Gilbert Barbier
- Joseph Loiselle m. Jeanne Langois in PAT in 1682, and they had 13 children in PAT.
- Laurent Archambault, son of Jacques Archambault.
- Honore Langlois, father of Jeanne Langlois that married Joseph Loiselle in 1682.
- Jean Beauchamp, wife of Jeanne Loisel, their fourth of 8 children was born in Pointe-aux-Trembles in 1676.
- Guillaume Labelle
Point-aux-Trembles is on the north est of the Ile of Montreal. It was 27 years after the foundation of Ville-Marie, that the first concession of land in Pointe-aux-Tremble was given by the priests of the seminar of Saint-Suplice de Ville-Marie.
Pointe-aux-Trembles is located where the St Lawrences and the Rivieres-des-Prairies join and was selected as a location to help defend Montreal.
On 5 April 1669, M. Queylus, gave 60 arpents of land to Jean Oury dit Lamarche and to others with the condition that a church and moulin be built.
Toussaint Beaudry bought, for 220 livres his first property there on 9 September 1670, from Pierre Bareau dit LaGogue, a soldier at the garrison of Montréal – between Pierre Papin and François Bau. He settled their with his wife Barbe Barbier and their 10 children.
The construction d’un moulin a farine was not built until 1672. As the population grew, the priests started having mass and administering sacrements in the house of a colonist Francois Bau and his wife, Francoise Bugon.
The Sieur Picote de Belestre was granted the concession on 28 July 1671 establishing the parish of L’Engant-Jesus. A wooden fort was build at Pointe-aux-Trembles as early as 1675, a windmill followed in 1677 and in 1678 the church was built
A priest from the Sulpiciens would celebrate mas every Sunday for three years at Pointe-aux-Trembles. It wasn’t until 1674 that the community started planning for the building of a church.
On 18 Nov 1674, “les principaux habitants du bas de l’ile de Montreal” met with M. Jean Fremont, piete of Seminaire Montreal at the house of Francois Beau and decided to build a church with the people of the parish given what they could. They also elected two marguiliers: Francois Beau and Laurent Archambault, de la cote Sainte-Anne, were unanimously elected.
The building complete, on 13 Mar 1678 it was blessed by l’Enfant-Jesus by M. Lefebvre, superier de Seminaire et vicaire general. Assisted by monsieur le cure Seguenot and monsieur Jean Cavelier, frere de sieur LaSalle. Also attending included Honore Langlois, Jean Beauchamp, epoux de Jeanne Loisel, Francois Bau, ancien marguillier, Toussaint Beaudry, wife of Barbe Barbier and “gendre” of Gilbert Barbier, the builder of Ville-Marie.
This was the first church, L’Enfant Jesus, build outside of Montreal itself. It was a stone church that measured 36 feet by 24 feet.
Pointe-aux-Trembles, known back then as Saint-Jean, was rapidly developing in 1680. Marguerite Bourgeoys was requested to set up a “mission ambulant”, and some of the women working with her came to PAT including soeur Marie Barbier, helping prepare children for communion. In 1690, Marguerite Bourgeoys was asked to establish a permanent establishment and a wood building was built. It is likely that the girls and granddaughters of Loisel’s went to classes in this building.
On 8 Dec 1681, Francois Bau and his wife, sold their property in Pointe-aux-Trembles to Joseph Loisel, bought for 60 arpents. The property included “trois arpent de front sur le bord de la grande riviere (saint-Laurent) sur vingt arpents en profondeur ayant com voisin d’un cote Toussaint Beaudry dit Laubes. The buildings included a house of 20 ft, lambrissee et deux cabanes, une menuiserie, un foury (four) de 12 a 15 pieds, pour cuire le pain, une allonge qui fait une chambre et un grenier a la susdite maison et une grange de 24 a 30 pieds couverte de paille et un etable d’envioron 24 pieds de longueur”. Toussaint Beaudry [his daughter comes up later in Loiselle family tree] became his neighbor.
Jul 2, 1690, there were a number of people killed by the Iroquois (Joseph Cartier, Jean Delpe, John Jolata, Nicolas Joly, Jean Raynaud and William Richard).
In 1695 and again in 1722, Joseph Loisel, the son of the pioneer, fut mandate pour gerer les affaires de la paroisse de L’Enfant-Jesus. In 1739, his son Jean Baptiste Loiselle was elected Marguillier. In 1690, Jeanne’s father Honore Langlois was elected Marguillier. In 1693, Jean Beauchamp, his brother in law, was elected member of the counsel de la fabrique.
In 1718, a windmill was built by master mason, Jean-Baptiste Deguire. In 1721, the mill is leased to Jean-Baptiste Gibala. In 1837, the windmill is sold to Anne Smith, wife of Louis Mignault. He sells it in 1906.
Here is a picture of the windmill after it was restored in 2007. At three stories is is the tallest windmill in Quebec that still stands. It is at the corner of Notre Dame Street and Third Avenue.
Here is an online version of the Repetoire of th Marriages of L’Enfant Jesus de la Pointe aux Trembles.
Will add additional information as I come across it. Would love to hear from you if you have other information to recommend.