Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve was born in France in 1612. In 1641, a group of devout people gave him the mission to found a colony consecrated to the Holy Virgin in New France, and to call it Ville-Marie. The group that he commanded with Montréal on May 17, 1642. Maisonneuve was the Governor of the island until 1665, when he returned to France. He died in Paris in 1676.
People that were with Paul de Chomedey on 18 May 1642 which was the official mass celebrating founding of Montreal included (among others):
It wasn’t until 1647 that the first Loisel came to Montreal. Paul de Chomedey was a witness at the wedding of Louis Loisel and Marguerite Charlot in 1647. And he was also the godfather of their first son Joseph Loiselle born in 1654.
During Paul de Chomedey’s absenses from Ville Marie, Lambert Closse was his replacement.
Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve would act as governor of the colony.
As governor, he was also responsible for protecting the young colony.
He was responsible for engaging Jacques Archambault to make the first well in the fort, that would allow the inhabitants to better withstand the Iroquois attacks.
As governor he was responsible for giving land grants.
On January 4, 1648, he granted Pierre Gadois the first concession of land of 40 acres. Others including Charles Lauzon, Robert Lecavelier et Adrienne Duvivier, Jean Desroches, Urbain Tessier dit Lavgne and Jacques Archambault.
It was in 1655, Paul de Maisonneuve donated the land for the land for the site of the Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours, which is the oldest chapel in Montreal and it was Marguerite Bourgeoys that got the colonists (and perhaps our Louis Loisel) to build a chapel of pilgramge outside the settment. The first stone chapel was build in 1675. [We saw these paintings of Marguerite Bourgeoys and Paul de Maisonneuve by Ozias Leduc when we visited Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours on Jun 29, 2013]
|Marguerite Bourgeoys, by Ozias Leduc, 1909. Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours. ©Musée Marguerite-Bourgeoys||Portrait de Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve,
huile, XXe siècle, par Ozias Leduc,
Montréal, Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours
It was in 1655 before Louis Loisel was given his first land grant. Lambert Closse wasn’t given his land grant until 1657 just before his marriage.
A more detailed biography of Paul de Chomedey is provided here.